Last week, I got a customer request to update the "Remaining Work" field and set it to 0 when the work item is resolved. Doing this can easily be done by altering the work item type definition. First of all make sure that you have the Team Foundation Server Power Tools installed.
- Open Visual Studio 2010. Go to Tools –> Process Editor –>Work Item Types --> Open WIT From Server.
- Select the Team Project and Work Item Type you want to open. The Work Item Type Editor is loaded.
- Go to the workflow tab and click on the desired transition. The Workflow Transition window is loaded.
- Go to the Fields tab. Add a field reference to "Microsoft.VSTS.Scheduling.RemainingWork"
- Add a new rule of type "COPY"
- Choose From = "value" and enter value = "0"