Skip to main content

Debugging the Smart Paste UI component

Yesterday I talked about the Smart Paste UI component which should help to automatically fill out a form using data from the user's clipboard. Although the feature worked, the result was weird as an 'of type string' was added to the filled in fields.

Let’s debug the component to understand what is going (wr)on(g).

We start by creating a subclass of type SmartPasteInference:

We register this class in the DI container before the AddSmartComponents():

Add a breakpoint to the BuildPrompt method to inspect the default prompt and parameters. Run the application in debug mode and hit the 'Paste from clipboard button'

Once the breakpoint is hit, we can see the debugger values:

If we drill down in the Messages property, we see the following 2 messages:

That already explains where the ‘of type string’ is coming from. It seems that Llama3 handles these values literally. Let’s try to update the generated prompt to get a better result.

I took the original source code and tweaked it a little bit to omit the type information:

This time our prompt looks like this;

And this is how the result looks like if we paste the following bug description:

I've found a pretty serious issue where the application crashes whenever you try to save your profile. It doesn't matter what browser or operating system you're using, it happens every time. Basically, you just log in, go to the profile page, fill out the form, and hit save. Instead of saving your profile like it should, the whole application crashes and you get this "500 Internal Server Error" message. This is a high priority issue because it prevents users from updating their profiles.


Much better!

Popular posts from this blog

DevToys–A swiss army knife for developers

As a developer there are a lot of small tasks you need to do as part of your coding, debugging and testing activities.  DevToys is an offline windows app that tries to help you with these tasks. Instead of using different websites you get a fully offline experience offering help for a large list of tasks. Many tools are available. Here is the current list: Converters JSON <> YAML Timestamp Number Base Cron Parser Encoders / Decoders HTML URL Base64 Text & Image GZip JWT Decoder Formatters JSON SQL XML Generators Hash (MD5, SHA1, SHA256, SHA512) UUID 1 and 4 Lorem Ipsum Checksum Text Escape / Unescape Inspector & Case Converter Regex Tester Text Comparer XML Validator Markdown Preview Graphic Color B

Help! I accidently enabled HSTS–on localhost

I ran into an issue after accidently enabling HSTS for a website on localhost. This was not an issue for the original website that was running in IIS and had a certificate configured. But when I tried to run an Angular app a little bit later on http://localhost:4200 the browser redirected me immediately to https://localhost . Whoops! That was not what I wanted in this case. To fix it, you need to go the network settings of your browser, there are available at: chrome://net-internals/#hsts edge://net-internals/#hsts brave://net-internals/#hsts Enter ‘localhost’ in the domain textbox under the Delete domain security policies section and hit Delete . That should do the trick…

Azure DevOps/ GitHub emoji

I’m really bad at remembering emoji’s. So here is cheat sheet with all emoji’s that can be used in tools that support the github emoji markdown markup: All credits go to rcaviers who created this list.