Saturday, June 4, 2011

Exporting Fiddler Web Recording to a Visual Studio Web Test

Fiddler is a required tool in the toolset of every web developer. It allows you to exam and work with HTTP requests. Although I’m using Fiddler for a long time, I still discover new features every day. As described here, one of the features I didn’t know is that you can export a Fiddler session as a Visual Studio Web Test (or Web Performance Test).

So how do you achieve this?

  • Open up the site you want to record and make a few requests.
  • Go to File – Export Sessions – All Sessions.
  • Select the Visual Studio WebTest export format.
  • Save the file.
  • Open a Visual Studio Test Project.
  • Choose Add Existing Item and add the file you just saved.

3 comments:

Dave said...

Which begs the question, should you use VS to record your webtests or Fiddler? Fiddler captures more detail than VS, so I do wonder why the VS team haven't worked in the Fiddler sort of functionality.

Anonymous said...

Getting the error message: "A project with an Output Type of Class Library cannot be started directly. In order to debug this project, ass an executable project to this solution which references the library project. Set the executable project as the startup project."

I'm new to VS, can you tell me how I do this?

Anonymous said...

*add