Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Windows Azure Storage: One of the request inputs is out of range

Last week I ran into following error when trying to create a blob storage in Windows Azure:

“One of the request inputs is out of range” 

Let’s have a look at the code who causes this error. Do you see something special?

var blobStorage = storageAccount.CreateCloudBlobClient();
var blobContainer= blobStorage .GetContainerReference(“My Blob Storage”);
blobContainer.CreateIfNotExist();

I didn’t see something wrong.  But when I changed the reference name to “myblobstorage” suddenly everything worked fine. It seems that you cannot use any name you want for Windows Azure Storage containers. I discovered the following naming rules(maybe there are more):

  • use only lower case letters
  • digits are allowed anywhere
  • name should not contain any spaces

A more obvious error message would have been helpful.

1 comment:

Haddicus said...

Thanks for the post, I had the same problem and was wondering what the issue was!