In Visual Studio 2010 a new deployment option is available to easily deploy your web applications: MSDeploy.
On your webserver itself you can deploy the created package using the Web Deployment tool. But I found out it is also possible to do this immediately in IIS 7.
- Open the IIS Manager by clicking Start > Run and typing inetmgr.
- In IIS Manager, expand the Server node and the Sites node, then select the Default Web Site.
- In the right-hand Actions pane, click the Import Application... link to launch the packaging wizard.
- Select the package that you created in the previous quick guide, MyApplication.zip, or any other package.
- In the Install an Application Package dialog, you will see the application and the database.
- On the Parameters page, enter a new application name if desired and enter a SQL connection string.
- Click Next to install the package.
- The Summary page will provide a high-level overview of some items that were installed from the package. The Details tab will give a lot of detail of exactly what was added.