After upgrading from Team Foundation Server 20120 to 2012, everything looked OK. However when we looked at the reports, we saw that all user names were gone and the only value we saw was ‘Unknown’. I took a look at the Team Foundation Server database, but all data was there as expected. So clearly something went wrong, when building the data warehouse.
Our first attempt to fix it, was just doing a full rebuild of the warehouse but no luck. The issue was still there.
I started to look around on the Internet and discovered the following update: Update to Team Foundation Server Update 1 (KB2803625)
In the list of issues this update fixes, I discovered point 5, which was exactly the issue we were having:
- Collections that are attached to a server that is running TFS 2012 Update 1 may lose permissions
- Group scopes may incorrectly cause permission errors
- Severe decrease in performance after TFS 2012 Update 1 is installed
- Identity sync jobs may fail repeatedly
- Warehouse is not updated correctly, or fields that represent a person are not filled
- Users can see names of collections of which they are not a member
- You cannot remove a user or a group after you attach a collection to a TFS 2012 Update 1 server
- You cannot view artifacts that reference an identity that is no longer a part of a collection
So I downloaded and installed the update on the TFS application tier.
Remark: After installing the patch, you will need to manually initiate a rebuild of the warehouse in order to correctly populate the fields which reference people for the latest revisions of work items.
After the rebuild, the issue was gone and the data was finally there…