Today I had to install the Java JRE on a server to be able to use ElasticSearch. Unfortunately I couldn’t install any software that allowed me to extract and run the tar.gz file on the server.
Here is my workaround:
Download and extract
- Start by downloading the Java 8 Server JRE.
- Once downloaded, unzip the tar.gz file. You’ll get a tar file.
- That tar file should be unzipped again. The output of this second unzip operation was a set of binaries and executables.
- Copy these files over to a file share on the target server.
- Create a folder C:\Program Files\Oracle Java Server on your server.
- Browse to the content of the file share. Go one level deeper e.g. jdk1.8.0_XX (where XX is the current update version) and copy this content to the new folder on your server.
Set JAVA_HOME environment variable
Finally we need to set an environment variable to point to our new Java installation:
- Open the System Properties.
- Click the Advanced tab and the Environment Variables button.
- Click New... at the System Variables.
- Use JAVA_HOME as the name of the variable and the path C:\Program Files\Oracle Java Server as the value.
- Finish this job by clicking OK until your are back at the control panel.