Monday, October 3, 2016

Project Orleans error: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions

I’m currently experimenting with Orleans and trying to compare it with my experiences using Akka.NET and the Azure Service Fabric actors. So far I like the experience although I encountered some issues in the beginning.

image

I got my first problem when trying the “hello world” of actor model examples; https://dotnet.github.io/orleans/Tutorials/My-First-Orleans-Application.html. After following the tutorial, my Orleans host blew up with the following exception:

ERROR starting Orleans silo name=[MyMachineName] Exception=
Exc level 0: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoBind(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Bind(EndPoint localEP)
at Orleans.Runtime.SocketManager.GetAcceptingSocketForEndpoint(IPEndPoint address)
at Orleans.Runtime.Messaging.IncomingMessageAcceptor..ctor(MessageCenter msgCtr, IPEndPoint here, SocketDirection socketDirection)
at Orleans.Runtime.Messaging.MessageCenter.Initialize(IPEndPoint here, Int32 generation, IMessagingConfiguration config, ISiloPerformanceMetrics metrics)
at Orleans.Runtime.Silo..ctor(String name, SiloType siloType, ClusterConfiguration config, ILocalDataStore keyStore)
at Orleans.Runtime.Silo..ctor(String name, SiloType siloType, ClusterConfiguration config)
at Orleans.Runtime.Host.SiloHost.InitializeOrleansSilo()

Whoops! Not a great start for my first experience with Orleans. A netstat –o brought some insight into the root cause of this issue. The default port used by Orleans(port 22222) was already in use.  I removed the tool(RedGate Ants Profiler in my case) that was using the port and I was good to go!

No comments: