Monday, February 11, 2013

SQL Server Reporting Services: The feature: "Scale-out deployment" is not supported in this edition of Reporting Services.

When restoring a SQL Server Reporting Services database to a new server, the service didn’t want to start. Instead I got the following error message:

“The feature: "Scale-out deployment" is not supported in this edition of Reporting Services.”

When I was checking the report server configuration manager, I found out that in the Scale Out SSRS deployment both the new server and old server were listed. To clean up the scale out deployment configuration and remove the old server I had to do the following:

  • Open a command prompt.
  • Browse to the following path C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\
  • List the report servers found in the database type using the following command:
    • RSKeyMgmt –l
  • A list of servers with their GUID is shown. Note the GUID of the server that you want to remove.
  • Remove the instance by using the following command:
    • RSKeyMgmt -r GUIDoftheSSRSserverTobeRemoved
  • Say yes if you are asked for confirmation.

That’s it…

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you know which one is the correct GUID?

Anonymous said...

Mine listed the server names next to the GUIDs.

This was a HUGE time-saver. THANKS!

Tim Paulaskas said...

This helped me too. I tried to remove it from the GUI Reporting Service Configuration application, but it continued to error on the TFS Readiness Check. After I completed your steps, it motored right on and completed the readiness checks.

THANKS!

Jesse MacNett said...

For anyone else who runs across it: I had this exact same issue *after* I finished moving my SSRS instance from an old server to a new server with the same name (we were switching out the host OS box, but all drives, dbs, etc were on disks that were moved from the old machine to the new one). After restoring my SSRS key, it appeared as though the server was duplicated in the "Scale-out deployment" section, and any attempt to browse the "reports" folder on my server resulted in that error message.

To ultimately fix it, I ended up physically deleting a row from the "Keys" table in the SSRS database after the key had been restored (after backing up the table to the side first, obviously). While the MachineName value was the same for both server records, the second instance was the one that had to go (based on InstallationID). After I removed the second row, my server operated normally again.

I hope this saves someone some time in the future.

Anonymous said...

Worked like a charm :) Ty

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this, saved a lot of head-scratching

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this blog. i migrated my ReportServer databases from SQL 2008R2 to SQL 2014 and removing the row from the Keys table took care of my issues :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the help. Worked for me too after migrating to a new server.

steve keyen said...

Thx was helpfull.

Luanne Pang said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luanne Pang said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luanne Pang said...

To display keys for instances

RSKeyMgmt -l -i instancenamehere

to delete key

RSKeyMgmt -r guidhere -i instancenamehere

Annarquia said...

Thank you for your help!

Anonymous said...

Thank you. You saved my day.