Saturday, January 8, 2011

TFS vs Subversion continued

A while ago I blogged about some differences between Team Foundation Server Source Control and Subversion. It seems that I am not the only one who compared features between the 2 systems. As a lot of things are improved in TFS 2010, an update is required. For an interesting discussion I suggest you read this post by Martin Hinshelwood.

To summarize the important Source Control improvements in TFS 2010:

  • Better branching visualization(In TFS 2008 branches were just folders)
  • Multi-platform support
  • Easy to install
  • Gated check-in’s
  • Source and Symbol server support(my favorite!)

1 comment:

Martin Hinshelwood said...

I would like to point out that TFS 2010 is NOT a Source Control System. It is an Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) platform that also provides Version Control. :)

SVN is to TFS what Word is to Office