Saturday, January 15, 2011

TF84032: Team Foundation could not insert the work item list.

Last week I upgraded my Office 2007 installation to Office 2010. After the installation was complete, the Team Foundation Server integration started failing. Everytime I tried to open a work item list in Excel, the following error message was returned:

clip_image002

If I tried to open Excel from inside Visual Studio, another error was returned:

image

On the Internet the following possible solutions were mentioned:

  • Repairing the  Visual Studio Tools for Office Runtime. Didn’t help for me.
  • Repairing the Microsoft Office 2010 installation. Didn’t help either
  • Re-registering the TFSOfficeAdd-in.dll (regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\TFSOfficeAdd-in.dll")

Then I found some information on the MSDN forums about how to get extra tracing info:

1. Copy the following contents to a config file and name it as Excel.Exe.Config (for TFS Excel Add-In) or WinProj.exe.config (for TFS Project Add-in)

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<configuration>

<system.diagnostics>

    <switches>

<add name="General" value="4" />

</switches>

<trace autoflush="true" indentsize="4" />

</system.diagnostics>

</configuration>

2. Copy this config file to the folder where Excel.exe/WinProj.exe is installed (Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14) . On Vista if UAC is turned on then you won't be able to save a file under Program Files. So save this file under some other folder (say %temp%) and copy this file to Office install directory under Program Files

3. Close and re-launch Excel or WinProj

4. Re-try your scenario. For Excel trace information will be added to %temp%\tfs_msexcel.log and for MSProject it will added to %temp%\tfs_msproject.log

This returned the following information:


[Error, PID 5032, TID 1156, 10:08:16.248] Exception:  {
Exception Message: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component. (type COMException)

Exception Stack Trace:    at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR(Int32 errorCode)
   at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.DataStore.MetadataProvider.get_ConstLookupName()
   at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.DataStore.MetadataProvider.FindConstant(String name, Int32& id)
   at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.Provision.WitExporter.get_GlobalLists()
   at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.Provision.WitExporter.ExportGlobalLists()
   at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.Provision.WitExporter.Export()
   at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.Provision.ProvisionClass.ExportWorkItemType(Int32 projectId, Int32 typeId, Boolean withGlobalListsFlag)
   at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.Common.OfficeProjectContext.CalculateHashCode()
   at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.Common.OfficeProjectContext.Initialize()
   at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.Common.OfficeProjectContext..ctor(NamespaceData namespaceData, String teamProjectName, String projectLocation)
   at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ExcelAddIn.InsertListObject()
   at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ExcelCommands.NewWorkItemListCommand_Click_Internal()

}

Didn’t know what to do with that, so as a last resort I re-installed Team Explorer 2010 and this solved the issues. Finally!

No comments: