Sunday, November 14, 2010

Don’t install Async CTP and ASP.NET MVC 3 RC on the same PC

After returning from TechEd Berlin this Friday, I downloaded and install the recent release of the ASP.NET MVC 3 RC build.  Everything seemed fine, until I tried to debug something inside Visual Studio. I couldn’t do any kind of useful debugging.

I found out on Scott Guthrie’s blog that it’s a known issue caused by installing both ASP.NET MVC 3 RC and C#/VB Async CTP. At this moment it isn’t possible to have both the Async CTP and the ASP.NET MVC 3 RC installed on the same machine at the same time.  You instead need to choose one or the other right now – installing both will cause problems.

To fix this, go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall both the ASP.NET MVC 3 RC build (including the VS Tools components for it) and the Async CTP. Once you’ve uninstalled both your machine will be back to a clean state and working fine.  You can then choose to install either the Async CTP or ASP.NET MVC 3 RC and it will work fine.

Async CTP Uninstall Instructions

The Microsoft Visual Studio Async CTP is installed as two updates:

1) .NET Framework 4.0 update called “.NET Framework Async CTP”
2) Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 update called “Microsoft Visual Studio Async CTP”

To uninstall go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > View installed updates. You will need to uninstall both updates.

ASP.NET MVC 3 RC Uninstall Instructions

To completely uninstall MVC 3 RC, you actually need to uninstall all of the following:

  • Microsoft ASP.NET MVC 3
  • Microsoft ASP.NET MVC 3 - Visual Studio 2010 Tools (only installed when you have Visual Studio 2010)
  • Microsoft ASP.NET MVC 3 - VWD Express 2010 Tools (only installed if you have Visual Web Developer 2010 Express)
  • Microsoft ASP.NET Web Pages
  • Microsoft ASP.NET Web Pages - Visual Studio 2010 Tools (only installed when you have Visual Studio 2010)
  • Microsoft ASP.NET Web Pages - VWD Express 2010 Tools (only installed if you have Visual Web Developer 2010 Express)
  • NuGet
  • Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 -  (KB2385361) (only installed when you have Visual Studio 2010)
  • Update for Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010 Express -  (KB2385361) (only installed if you have Visual Web Developer 2010 Express)

3 comments:

Protiguous said...

Thank you for this tidbit !

Michael said...

Are there any more hints? I couldn't uninstall CTP because it wanted the install disk. So I installed a newer version of CTP. But that failed because I didn't have service pack 1 of VS 2010. So I installed that. Then I installed newer version of CTP. Then I was able to uninstall CTP (there were 3 components the VS CTP and 2 .NET CTPs). Then I rebooted. I still can't install MVC 3 release version. So I'm now uninstalled VS SP1 to see if that will help.

Levi Burgoyne said...

I face same problem when I install ASP.NET MVC3 RC. I was unable to get work properly even after I uninstall it. I think after following removing steps which you described I'll get rid of this issue.